Alternative to Cable TV.
Is a streaming media device right for you?
Cable TV came to us in the mid-70s. At the time it was a great improvement from three channels and a pair of rabbit ears. Cable TV was a great way to get many more channels with an excellent reception to your home at a reasonable price. But fast forward to 2016 and the cable experience has become more expensive and quality has diminished. With the introduction of the Internet and a streaming media devices. Media players have changed viewing habits vastly. Especially with younger people, that want to consume their entertainment on their own schedule on tablets and smartphones. Many people are looking for an alternative to cable TV.
So you want to cut the cable?
Some things to consider before cutting the cord.
The Bundle Dilemma.
The Bundle Cable TV/Internet/Phone. Price $150 to $250 if not more for sports and movie packages.
What is included in your Bundle and how much are you paying now?
Do you still want a home phone?
• If the answer is yes. Contact your local provider to see what the cost of Internet/phone Bundle is in your area.
• If the answer is no. Consider the following.
What is the price for the Internet alone?
• You will need to stream TV a minimum of 15mb/s for 4K streaming 25mb/s is preferred.
• Many Internet providers charge a premium for faster speeds and Internet-only packages $75 to $100.
• Be aware some providers have a cap on data usage and streaming media requires a lot of data.
Basic option HD Antenna
• If you’re a minimalist and do not require Internet or phone. The cheapest and simplest solution is an HD Antenna.
• HD Antenna is the modern-day version of old school rabbit ears. Great option for local broadcast stations and sports.
• Good quality antenna cost less than $40 and the best part is there are no ongoing subscription fees.
• Programming depends on where you are located and what is available in your area.
Streaming Media Players
If you would like to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and much more online entertainment providers. You will need a streaming media device.
If you have a newer TV you maybe already have an alternative to cable tv most TVs made in the last 5 years are often equipped with built-in apps.
What is a Smart TV?
• Smart TV is a digital television that is, essentially, an Internet-connected, storage-aware computer specialized for entertainment.
• Smart TVs are available as stand-alone products but regular televisions can also be made “smart” through set-top boxes that enable advanced functions.
• Most High-end TV sold in the last two years are Smart TVs
Setting up your TV for streaming media can be an inexpensive and quite an easy process. But choosing from the many streaming media devices that have flooded the market can be overwhelming. We at Best Streaming Media Player are here to help you with this process.
The main selection from our research is it come down to a few major streaming media devices, Roku, Google, Amazon Fire, Apple TV and many major game consoles already on the market.
Check out the reviews on our site to make your decision on what is right for you.
Now that you are streaming media on your TV there is a number of paying options. What are the ongoing costs for you?
- Netflix $10-12 per month
- Hula $8-12 per-month
- For sports fans. Sling TV’s fundamental $20 per month bundle Watch ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, and TNT.
- Sling Blue Bundle get NHL, FS1, FS2, NFL network and get 9 more games channels, including SEC Network, ESPNU, ESPNews, and beIN Sports HD, with the Sports Extra Package.
- Amazon Prime $99 year
- Playstation Vue Free
- Crackle Free
- Funny or Die Free
- Vevo Free
- YouTube Free
For a full review of the best streaming services for your streaming media device go to go to www.tomsguide.com
• The streaming TV experience is not free.
• If you are already paying for Netflix and watching it 75% of the time, It’s probably time to cut the cable.
• A good high-speed Internet connection is required for optimum viewing.
• The cost for Internet-only service can cost a premium.
• If a home phone is required dropping cable only, does not reduce the overall bundle price significantly (Internet/Phone)
With a good Internet connect a quality Streaming Media Device and plenty of Streaming services available There are plenty of ways to get your own personalized entertainment experience and save money too.